PE at Rushmore
PE Lead: Cherrelle Gray
PE at Rushmore Primary School
At Rushmore we love PE! We are committed to providing the best opportunities for children to develop their physical competence, confidence, and ability to perform in a range of activities. We encourage children to participate in a range of physical activity and develop skills and awareness of the effect exercise has on their bodies. We promote positive attitudes towards active and healthy lifestyles.
The national curriculum for physical education aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy active lifestyles
Each year, we will be review our curriculum map to ensure that children are engaging in a variety of popular and alternative sports enabling them to develop the above skills.
Click here to see our annual overview.
The Government has invested in improving physical education and sport in primary schools by introducing the sports premium grant. As a school we received approximately £19,000 to help improve the provision for PE and sport at Rushmore.
We have spent this money on:
- Investing in new equipment and resources to support learning
- Providing additional after-school extra-curricular sports clubs
- Promoting inclusive sports and alternative sport opportunities
- Promoting healthy competition and participating in borough-wide competitions
- Building on the EYFS provision with a focus on fundamental movement skills
- Trips to sporting events or venues
- Swimming interventions for those who are struggling to reach the expected standard.
For more detail on how we are spending this additional funding click here
We currently run between 2 and 3 after-school sports clubs, every evening, across KS1 and KS2, to encourage children to enjoy physical activity and lead healthy lifestyles. They can participate in a range of physical activity including basketball, BMX, wheelchair basketball, table tennis, tennis, football, zumba and multi-sports.
Click here to see our sporting after school offer.
Every Year group in KS2 attend swimming lessons. Years 3, 5 and 6 have weekly lessons for alternate half terms. Year 4 take part in intensive swimming lessons every afternoon for two week blocks, twice in the year.
Last year 95% of our year 6 pupils met the swimming objectives for KS2 swimming and many exceeded these expectations.
And finally our sporting victories!
Our boys' football team have been chosen to represent Hackney at the London Youth Games!
- Boys Football Five-a-side (Years 5/6) – Winners
- Girls football Five- a side – leading at present in our round
- Hackney Athletics Tournament (Years 5/6) – 2nd place (16 schools)
- Hackney Cross Country League (Years 5/6) –Boys 3rd overall, Sam 4th place (23 schools)
- Hackney Orienteering League (Year 6) – 3rd place (11 schools)
- Multi-Skills Competition (KS1) – 4th place (16 schools) and 2nd place in round 2.
Click here for the Swimming and PE timetable at Rushmore.